I first heard about LaidOffCamp when it was being organized in San Francisco — twitter is good like that, word gets out quickly. I recall thinking, “What a great idea! Someone should organize one in Phoenix!” Well, when three of my friends were laid off all the same week in February, we decided that the time had come to host a LaidOffCamp Phoenix ourselves! So we are. :)
LaidOffCamps are ad-hoc gatherings of unemployed and nontraditionally employed people (including freelancers, entrepreneurs and startups) who want to share ideas and learn from each other. They feature an open, participatory discussion forum designed to educate, empower, and connect community members. The various presentations, workshops, and discussions focus on topics that may include: building your personal brand, transitioning to a new industry, legal & accounting demands of launching a new business, finding affordable health insurance, alternative working spaces, alternative income sources, and how to become a freelancer.
Date: Saturday, August 8th
325 E. Elliott Rd
Chandler, AZ 85225
Tickets: GET FREE TICKETS!
You must have a ticket!
The Rules of LaidOffCamp
- 1st Rule: You do talk about LaidOffCamp.
- 2nd Rule: You do blog about LaidOffCamp.
- 3rd Rule: Anyone with something to contribute or with the desire to learn is welcome and invited to join.
- 4th Rule: No pre-scheduled presentations and no tourists – everyone participates!
- 5th Rule: If you want to present, you must write your topic and name in a presentation slot.
- 6th Rule: As many presentations at a time as facilities allow for.
- 7th Rule: All sponsors, no matter how large their contribution is, shall be treated equally and afforded the same “benefits”
- 8th Rule: There will be no screening or vetting of presenters – anyone can speak!
Adopted from Tantek Çelik’s The Rules of BarCamp.
For even more details, check The Wiki.